Thursday, August 16, 2012

Success story

My Abseiling Challenge
Click goes the carribina and I start climbing; step by step goes by. Am I going to fall? Am I going to slip? All these thoughts go through my head.
 As I stumbled to the top of the climbing wall, Treana (the Camp Columba instructor) yelled “Wasn’t that fun? Now just slide down. Don’t worry!”
As I started sliding she told me the weirdest joke I’ve ever heard, probably to distract me, but it was NOT working!
Now all I could hear was cheering from my awesome team-mates “You’re almost down!” and “Good work!”
I was about to look down when Treana yelled” Can you do a jump?”
I yelled “Ahh, maybe?” I jumped a little, noticing that I felt like I was on a bungee… BOING!’. I slipped and slid all the way until the last part of the wall. Just then I noticed that I was shivering like a chihuahua (imagine that!)
My awesome teacher said “How was that?”
“Awesome and soo scary!” I replied as I handed over the carribina to Rhianna. “Good luck” we all yelled to her.

                        

And That’s The Story Of My First Abseiling Challenge!


By Shazarna

1 comment:

  1. That abseiling wall is most likely a major success story for many Edendale pupils and I am sure it is a memory you will always carry with you! If you could do that, you can do anything!

    You were very brave that day and you have really been able to show that in your story - it is great the way you have included many of your thoughts eg as you climbed the ladder, as that helps the reader to really understand what the experience was like for you.

    Good use of direct speech to add interest and flow to the action. There are a few places where you could have added other detail eg descriptions of movement, what you were looking at or holding - can you see where you might have expanded your statements so that the reader could really visualise the action? - Mrs C

    ReplyDelete